Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jefferson Davis Keathley

Today I was finally updating our walls with a photo of Julietta (yep, it's the first one I've hung of her and she is seventeen months old!). I took down a photo of Ella, Liliana, me, and Derek on the day I graduated with my masters in 2003 and immediately was taken to that day. My dad took the photo of us with the hill and the big "M" in the background standing next to the UM Griz. He captured an incredible moment. Behind the lens he was beaming and proud. I miss my dad so much.

Every time I teach Introduction to Africa at KU I teach a section about Traditional African Religions and talk to my students about the importance of ancestors in all African traditions. I tell them about how most people know their ancestry by heart. They have memorized at least ten generations of mothers, fathers, grandmothers, and grandfathers, and believe that a person continues to live as long as their name is remembered and spoken. This belief resonates with me and gives me great comfort. I think about and miss my dad everyday. I know he is with me.

Today I wanted to say his name.

I know in my heart and in my children's hearts he is living and with us.
mmmm
Jefferson Davis Keathley
mmmm
I love you Dad.
mmmm

No comments: